Private health insurance for international students abroad



From €25 per month

Reliable health insurance for the following groups:



from €25 per month

International students

Welcome to MAWISTA Student

International students studying abroad need health insurance that covers the costs of an unexpected illness or accident quickly and easily. This is true for international students in Germany as well as German students abroad.

Proof of valid health insurance must be provided upon arrival in the country of study. MAWISTA Student is the ideal choice as a flexible health insurance tariff that provides quality cover. The tariff is valid for up to five years, can be cancelled any month and offers lots of extra benefits.  Based on the excellent price–performance ratio, MAWISTA Student is our recommendation for international academics. 

It’s easy to apply for MAWISTA Student online. The valid insurance documents are sent conveniently by email within 24 hours after checking the application.

MAWISTA Student offers international students up to five years of reliable insurance cover. The health insurance cover is recognised by higher education bodies and government authorities both in German and worldwide. 

International students receive quality health insurance starting at just 25 euros per month. For just a couple of euros more, a wide range of extra services are also provided, such as vaccinations, cover against key loss, and accident and liability insurance, which covers accidental damage/injury to third-party property/individuals.

The Allianz Partners emergency hotline is available round the clock in case of emergency. Doctors’ and hospital invoices can be submitted conveniently online at any time of day. The insurer then checks the invoices and reimburses the insured services within two weeks.


Tariff at a glance

Insurance period

1–60 months
(5 years)

Age limit

under 40

Conclusion of contract

In home country or upon arrival abroad

Payment method

Monthly via direct debit or credit card


Daily at month’s end by email


Maximum 250 euros per calendar year

Insured region

Within EU or worldwide


Can be applied for at any time prior to the expiry of the policy

Proof of insurance

Recognised by official authorities

Cooperation with renowed universities

Versicherungskarte MAWISTA Student

Discover the benefits of the insurance card

The MAWISTA insurance card makes your life as a student in Germany easier. You can simply present it to your doctor.

Versicherungskarte für Auslandsversicherung


Here’s what our customers say about us

2273 Bewertungen

Tariff guide

Comparison of tariffs
MAWISTA Student Classic
MAWISTA Student Classic
MAWISTA Student Classic Plus
MAWISTA Student Classic Plus
MAWISTA Student Comfort
MAWISTA Student Comfort

24/7 medical assistance/emergency call centre

Outpatient treatment by a physician

Inpatient hospital treatment

Transport costs to nearest suitable hospital

Medically prescribed medicines and dressings

Repatriation costs up to €25,000 in the event of death

We recommend an insurance card

Waiting period for pregnancy treatment (in months)




Waiting period for childbirth (in months)




Remedy treatments (e.g. massage) per insurance year




Accident-related medical aids (not including vision aids) per insurance year




Dental treatment to stop pain, repairs of dental prostheses and temporary solutions per insurance year




Accident insurance for disability



Liability insurance for recovery measures



Liability insurance for damage to rental property



Liability insurance for personal injury and property damage



Loss of house key (excess €100)


Dental prosthesis up to 60% of the costs per insurance year

(8 month waiting period)


Vaccinations as recommended by STIKO (Standing Vaccination Committee)


Accident-related vision aids per insurance year
(3 month waiting period)


Insurance cover in the home country for Germans abroad

Up to 6 weeks

Maximum reimbursement based on GOÄ/GOZ
(for international visitors to Germany)




Excess (max. €250 per calendar year)




Policy wording

Monthly premiums

Age/Premiums for 1 to 60 months

0 to 4 years of age




5 to 17 years of age




18 to 29 years of age




30 to 40 years of age




Our service

MAWISTA provides reliable insurance cover at a good price–performance ratio for a period of up to five years.

Thanks to our fast and competent service, you get your insurance documents within 24 hours after your application has been checked. We know that students need flexibility, which is why you pay your premiums monthly and can cancel your policy at the end of any month if needed.

The insurer

Allianz Logo

German office
Bahnhofstr. 16
85609 Aschheim (near Munich)

Frequently asked questions

Questions about the tariff

Can I take out private health insurance at a German higher education institution?

International language school students, university students and preparatory course students: those attending higher education bodies can select MAWISTA Student health insurance. The MAWISTA Student tariffs have an excellent price–performance ratio and meet the requirements of the immigration authorities. 

You must be exempt from statutory health insurance in order to register to study at a German university. In this case a private health insurance policy must be presented to any statutory health insurance provider. This provider then issues an exemption certificate or send this electronically to the university. Statutory health insurance companies often have offices at universities with representatives who can help with this.

The decision to choose private or statutory health insurance should be considered carefully, as this choice is binding for the entire duration of your study.

Why is it a good idea to take our accident/liability insurance?

Liability insurance pays costs for accidental damage in daily life. This includes property damage (damage to or destruction of property) and personal injury (damage to health, injury or death of third parties). For property and personal damage, the sum insured is up to €1,000,000 per person and up to €250,000 for damage to rental property (for example, water damage caused by you).

Student halls of residence and educational institutions are increasingly requiring proof of liability insurance or insurance cover against key loss. With the MAWISTA Student Classic Plus and Comfort tariffs liability insurance is included at an affordable price. The Student Comfort tariff also covers key loss.

In which countries is MAWISTA Student insurance valid?

All MAWISTA Student tariffs are valid in Germany as well as for short-term stays (e.g. holidays) in all EU countries and Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and the United Kingdom.

For German citizens abroad, the insurance cover is valid worldwide (including the USA and Canada), except in Germany. MAWISTA Student Comfort also covers visits home for up to six weeks per insurance year.

Which health insurance policy is needed to cover accompanying family members?

If you are already insured with MAWISTA Student, we recommend that your accompany family members also take out a MAWISTA Student policy. The maximum contract term for MAWISTA Student is five years.

If your family will be staying for less than six months, MAWISTA Visum for international visitors to Germany is the better choice.

Each family member must take out insurance separately. We do not offer family insurance that covers multiple people.

How do I extend the policy?

An application to extend a policy can be submitted very easily by email. It is important to state the insurance number and the number of months by which the policy should be extended. The information will be checked upon receipt and a response will be sent in writing.

How do I cancel a MAWISTA Student policy?

A MAWISTA Student policy can be cancelled at the end of any month without stating any reasons for the cancellation. The notice of termination must be submitted to MAWISTA in writing. The notice of termination will be checked upon receipt and a response will be sent in writing. More information on cancellation and the online form can be found here.

Which doctor or hospital can I go to?

If the illness is minor (for example, you have the flu, headaches or have had a minor accident), we recommend visiting a general practitioner in your local area. The doctor providing treatment can refer you to a specialist if needed. If you have toothache, you should go straight to a dentist.

If you have severe pain, a serious accident or need to see someone outside of normal opening hours (for example at the weekend), you should go to a hospital or visit an on-call doctor’s practice that offers an emergency service. If you need to stay in hospital as an inpatient (e.g. for an operation), you must contact your insurer immediately. In this case, the emergency call centre team will clarify the details of how the costs will be covered directly with the hospital. The advantage of this is that there are no upfront payments for high hospital invoices as the insurer will pay your costs directly in this case.

Our emergency call centre team are available 24 hours a day:

Tel.: +49 (0)89 624 24 496
Fax: +49 (0)89 624 24 246

Which documents are needed to receive a declaration of cost acceptance?

The prerequisite for obtaining a declaration of cost acceptance is the treatment of an acute illness (no pre-existing condition) that is medically necessary and cannot be postponed.

The following documents must be submitted in order to check that this requirement has been met:

  • Detailed report on findings by the doctor who ordered the operation
  • Medical history
  • Symptoms
  • Information about when the operation will take place
  • Information about where the operation will take place
How can invoices be submitted?

Invoices are submitted via the MAWISTA claims form. Please answer all questions in order to ensure the claim is processed quickly. Once the form is sent, you will receive an automatic confirmation of receipt via email. The insurer will then check whether the invoice can be reimbursed and deal with the rest.

Do doctor’s invoices need to be translated before being submitted?

No, invoices do not need to be translated ahead of time. 

What documents are needed to reimburse hospital invoices?

The insurer will need to check the following documents:

  • Admission notification from the hospital
  • Discharge notification from the hospital
  • Invoice
  • Full discharge report
What do I do in the event of a liability claim?

In the case of damage, we strongly recommend immediately noting down the name and address of any witnesses. Do not admit liability for any damage at the scene of an accident. This may lead to insurance claims being lost as the insurer is the party charged with investigating the circumstances.

For further processing, a damage report containing all the information to hand, as well as supporting documents, is needed:

  • Description of the incident
  • Name and address of witnesses
  • Police reports
  • Photos
  • Invoices

State the insurance number and send the documents to

When am I entitled to an insurance card?

You are entitled to an insurance card if you take out a Student Classic Plus or Student Comfort tariff for Germany. Persons from Germany who take out a tariff for their stay abroad do not receive an insurance card, as this is only valid in Germany.

Are medications included in the insurance?

Costs for medication are generally covered, provided they have been prescribed by a doctor for medically necessary treatment of an acute illness.

Are the costs of vaccinations covered?
Vaccinations recommended by STIKO (Standing Committee on Vaccination) are reimbursed on the MAWISTA Student Comfort tariff up to an amount of €250 per insurance term. The MAWISTA Expatcare Premium tariff also covers vaccinations recommended by STIKO.
What is an excess?

An excess means that part of the invoice submitted to your insurer must be paid by you. For the MAWISTA Student tariffs, the following excesses apply for outpatient treatment or dental treatment:

  • MAWISTA Student Classic: 20% per insured benefit, max. €250 per calendar year
  • MAWISTA Student Classic Plus: 15% per insured benefit, max. €250 per calendar year
  • MAWISTA Student Comfort: 10% per insured benefit, max. €250 per calendar year

Examples for MAWISTA Student Comfort:

  1. A doctor’s invoice of €100 is submitted to the insurer. If all services are insured, the insurer will reimburse €90.
  2. A doctor’s invoice of €5,000 is submitted to the insurer. In this case, the insurer will reimburse €4,750 for the insured services, as the annual maximum limit of €250 applies.

More information on excesses can be found here.

What does GOÄ/GOZ mean?

The abbreviation ‘GOÄ’ stands for Gebührenordnung für Ärzte (scale of fees for doctors). ‘GOZ’ stands for Gebührenordnung für Zahnärzte (scale of fees for dentists). German doctors and dentists are obliged to charge for treatment in accordance with the respective scale of fees. For each treatment, a specific amount is specified for each treatment and varying percentages can be charged based on this amount. The insurer pays 1.8-3.5 times the rate depending on the tariff that has been taken out.


  1. Invoice with a fee rate that exceeds the reimbursable rate: With the MAWISTA Student Classic tariff, the insurer will generally reimburse 1.8 times the scale of fees. The insured person receives an invoice with 2.3 times the rate of the scale of fees. The insurer will reimburse the incurred costs at 1.8 times the rate after they have checked the invoice (with deduction of excess depending on tariff). The difference must be covered by the insured person. We therefore recommend discussing the invoicing methods with the doctor before receiving treatment.
  2. Invoice with a fee rate that is lower than the reimbursable rate: With the MAWISTA Student Classic Comfort tariff, the insurer will generally reimburse all insured benefits from 1.8 to 3.5 times the rate.
What does the MAWISTA Student tariff not cover?

With MAWISTA Student, the insurer will generally only reimburse treatment that is medically necessary and has occurred after the start of the insurance term. Treatment for pre-existing conditions will therefore not be paid for by the insurer.

Section 4 of the conditions of insurance outlines the cases where there is no insurance cover:

  1. Medical treatments and other medically prescribed measures which are the reason for coming to the country in which insurance cover has been agreed;
  2. Medical treatments and other medically prescribed measures which were known to be necessary by the insured person prior to coming to the country in which insurance cover has been agreed or were known at the time the policy was taken out, or which must have been expected by you due to known circumstances;
  3. Nutriments and restoratives;
  4. Orthodontic treatment, dental treatment that goes beyond treating pain, repairing dental prostheses and temporary solutions;
  5. Remedies (e.g. massage and mud baths, lymphatic drainage) exceeding six treatments in the insurance year;
  6. The purchase of prostheses and medical aids; except for accident-related medical aids where cover up to €250 is provided per insurance year;
  7. Treatment of alcohol, drug and other additions and their consequences;
  8. Treatment for pregnancy which began prior to the start of the insurance policy and treatment for pregnancy during the waiting period after the start of the insurance policy;
  9. Treatment or hospital stays related to prolonged illness, nursing care or psychiatric commitment;
  10. Psychoanalytical and psychotherapeutic treatment and hypnosis;
  11. Fees that exceed what is generally considered normal and reasonable in the country in question and fees for selective services, such as a private room or treatment by the head physician. Reimbursement may be reduced to the rates standard for the country in question;
  12. Repatriation for any of the reasons stated in no. 1, 2, 7 or 9.
  13. Screenings for illnesses, check-ups for children or teenagers, dental check-ups and preventative treatment, and fees for doctor’s certificates, diagnostic reports and (incapacity for work) certificates that were not requested by the insurer.
What does ‘waiting period’ mean and is there generally a waiting period?

The ‘waiting period’ is the period after the insurance has commenced during which there is no entitlement to insurance benefits.

With MAWISTA Student, any treatments for pregnancy (three months from the start of the policy), childbirth and dental prostheses (eight months from the start of the policy) are subject to waiting periods. With the MAWISTA Student Comfort tariff, pregnancy is covered without a waiting period.

Example: An insurance policy is taken out on 1 January. The insurance company will reimburse costs for dental prostheses from the start of treatment only after 1 August (after eight months).

What is insured if I am pregnant?

If the pregnancy began before the start of the insurance cover, pregnancy treatments and childbirth are not insured. If the pregnancy begins after the start of the insurance cover, the tariffs cover the costs as follows:

Student Classic / Student Classic Plus

  • Waiting period for pregnancy treatment: 3 months
  • Waiting period for childbirth:  8 months

Student Comfort

  • Waiting period for pregnancy treatment: 0 months
  • Waiting period for childbirth:  0 months

Regardless of when the pregnancy began and waiting period, the insurer will reimburse costs of medical treatment in the case of acute pregnancy complications including miscarriage and premature birth.

What services are insured in the event of a Covid-19 infection?

We will cover you if you fall ill with Covid-19 during your stay abroad.

The following services are covered, provided they have been ordered by a doctor:

  • Medically necessary treatments
  • Examinations
  • Medication
  • Costs for in-patient quarantine
  • PCR test (if symptoms present)
How do I switch to MAWISTA Student?

To switch to MAWISTA Student from another insurance company during your stay abroad, you should check the cancellation periods with your previous insurance company. You should avoid having two insurance policies running concurrently as this makes it difficult to determine who should pay.

An insurance application for the MAWISTA Student tariff can be submitted easily online. Please ensure that there is no ‘gap’ in insurance. This means that if your previous insurance ends on the 31st of a month, for example, the new MAWISTA Student insurance policy should start on the 1st of the following month.

If you have any questions, our staff would be happy to help. We are available Monday to Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on +49 (0)7024 469 510.

Can I switch to a different MAWISTA tariff?

You can switch to an equivalent, higher or lower tariff within the first four weeks after your insurance has commenced or until the cancellation period of two weeks after application has expired. Any later than this, you will only be able to switch to an equivalent or lower tariff.

To change tariffs, please send a brief email including your policy number to

How do I extend an existing tariff?

Simply send a brief email to and state the policy number and the number of months for which the policy should be extended.

If your policy has expired, you will not be able to extend the insurance term. In this case, your only option is to apply for a new insurance policy.

How do I receive proof of insurance for the immigration office or university?

As soon as your application is approved, confirmation of insurance will be sent via email immediately. The certificate is recognised as a health insurance policy by immigration authorities and universities/universities of applied sciences.

To help you obtain a residence permit from the immigration authorities, we would be happy to issue special certificates about your private health insurance policy on request.

Can I be insured by you even if I have lived in Germany for some time?

Yes, you can also take out our insurance if you have been insured before, provided you have not lived in Germany for any longer than five years.

Which insurance term should I choose?

We generally recommend that applying for the maximum insurance term, as applications to extend your policy can be refused by the insurer. Despite the longer policy term, there is still flexibility as you can cancel your insurance policy early at any time before the end of the month without giving a reason.

What are the policyholder details?

The policyholder is the person who purchases the insurance policy for him/herself or for another person. The policyholder is our main point of contact 

The policyholder needs an address in Germany to be eligible to take out this insurance. 

Are you the insured person?

The insured person is the person who is covered by the insurance. The insured person and the policy holder can be the same person 

What is SEPA Direct Debit?

If you have a European bank account (SEPA direct debit), you can use the IBAN to pay for your insurance. The IBAN is you bank account number (you find it on any statements or when you log into your bank). We recommend this payment type as this is the most secure and convenient payment method 

How can I pay by credit card?

If you chose credit card as payment method, a new window opens for you to input your credit card details. You may need to confirm your payment in your banking app. 

Product Finder

Interested in seeing more suitable tariffs?

The Product Finder can show you all of the health insurance tariffs suitable for you as an international student.