Schengen Visa Restrictions

The Schengen visa is not alsways for unrestricted use and depends on your trip The visa may be restricted in several ways, if deemed appropriate by the authorities.

Possible restrictions at a glance

In your visa application, state the circumstances of your trip. These will determine what permissions you need. On the basis of the information you provide, the embassy or consulate responsible determines the restrictions to the Schengen visa. The following decisions are made

Duration of Stay

The duration of the permitted stay is determined primarily by the category of the visa. The main differences between the individual categories are explained below.

Airport Transit Visa (Category A):

The airport transit visa (A) allows you to change your terminal when stopping in the Schengen area in order to reach a destination outside the Schengen area. The traveller may not leave the transit area of the airport, i.e., entry is not allowed.

Short-Term Visa (category C):

max. 90 days The short-term visa category C allows in principle a stay in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days within 6-month period. This rule applies regardless of the period of validity of each visa, which can range from a few days (for example, transit) to 5 years.

Long-Term “National visa” (category D): max. 12 months

The long-term visa (D) is issued for a maximum of 12 months and allows long-term stay in the designated Schengen state. For all other Schengen countries, the usual 90-day rule applies, as long as no territorial restriction is specified in the visa.

Entry Permission

The entry permit states how often you can enter a Schengen area from a non-Schengen country. In principle, this restriction is relevant for Schengen visa categories C (short-term visa) and D (long-term visa “national visa”).

One-Time Entry

One-time entry means the visa holder is only allowed to enter the Schengen area once. If the holder leaves the Schengen area, the permission to stay expires.

Attention: You are not allowed to enter a second time even if your visa is still valid based purely on duration.

Double Entry

With double entry permission, the visa holder is allowed to enter the Schengen area twice. After the second departure, the permission to stay expires, regardless of the duration specified in the visa.

Multiple Entry

A multiple-entry visa entitles you to unlimited entry and exit as long as you do not exceed the 90-day period within 6 months. With a category D visa, a longer stay in the main country of application is possible.


As a rule, the Schengen visa does NOT include a permission to work. An intention to work must therefore be explicitly justified in the application.

If only a short-term stay is necessary, one should apply for a business visa. For long-term employment, however, a work visa is necessary.

Work visas are basically national category D visas.

In both cases, additional evidence (for example, confirmation from the employer, invitation, tax statement, etc.) must be provided. The required documents differ for self-employed and employees. For more information on this topic, contact the consulate or embassy of the country where you plan to stay.

Business Visa Vs. Work Visa

Business visa
Business relations make a short stay in the Schengen area necessary.
Work visa
The long-term pursuit of gainful employment in a Schengen country is desired.

Limited Territorial Validity


Depending on the circumstances of the stay, the visa may be issued with limited territorial validity (or “territorial limitation”). In that case, you may only stay in the country that issued the visa or in the countries that are explicitly listed on the visa.

Unless there is a territorial restriction on the visa, you may use the Schengen C and D visa for a maximum of 90 days in any 6-month period in the entire Schengen area. For holders of a national long-term visa (D), the same rule applies to all countries other the main country specified.

An area restriction is a special form of visa that is used in exceptional cases: