Reliable health insurance for international students at universities in Germany

Gesetzliche Krankenversicherung


from €121.16 per month

Statutory health insurance (GKV) for the following groups of people:



from €121.16 per month

Your stay in Germany

Welcome to MAWISTA GKV

International students require reliable health insurance coverage to enrol at a German university.

For international students, statutory health insurance (GKV) pays the medical costs of treatment or operations directly to the doctor or hospital. This means that you will not receive a doctor’s or hospital bill after treatment (provided you have not ordered additional benefits from the doctor that are not covered by the insurance).

There are also lots ofadditional benefits, bonus programmes and apps that can help you to improve your health and stay healthy throughout your studies.

The health insurance providers AOK and BARMER are two of the biggest and best-known health insurance providers in Germany. They have offered good coverage for international students for many years and also provide strong on-site support.

If you require a visa for your stay in Germany, we recommend taking out MAWISTA Visum for your entry into Germany. Once you have arrived in Germany, you can take out insurance with a statutory health insurance provider.

If you have any questions about which is the right health insurance plan for you, our insurance advisors would be happy to help you free of charge.

Important to know

University students

The choice is yours

Statutory health insurance

If you want to take out insurance with a statutory health insurance provider for your studies at a university (Bachelors. Masters), you can easily and quickly submit an application for membership of the AOK or BARMER here. You will receive a response from the health insurance provider within 48 hours. They will also send electronic confirmation of your insurance coverage to your university ready for your enrolment. This means nothing stands in the way of you starting your studies.

Private health insurance

If you prefer private health insurance for your studies, you can find the right tariff here. After your details have been verified, you will receive your insurance certificate by the next working day at the latest. Take this insurance certificate to an AOK or Barmer office. These are often located within or close to your university. They will then inform your university that you have health insurance from another provider for your studies.


During the first three months after enrolling at your university, you can choose between statutory and private health insurance.

The decision of whether to opt for private or statutory health insurance is binding for the duration of your studies and cannot be changed at a later date.


If you want to have a part-time job or paid internship during your studies, we recommend taking out a health insurance plan with AOK or BARMER.

Key information

Trainee or employee

If you earn more than €538 a month, you will be insured via your employer.

In this case, you will need a statutory health insurance plan or a private full health insurance plan.

The monthly insurance premium will be transferred by your employer directly to the health insurance provider. Your employer will pay half the monthly insurance premium.

Statutory health insurance

Special features
Insurance cover

The costs of treatment for illnesses, accidents and medication prescribed by a doctor will be covered. The doctor or hospital will settle the insured costs directly with the statutory health insurance provider. You will only receive a bill if the doctor or hospital has been instructed to carry out more extensive treatment.

Note: If you have ‘European Health Insurance Card’ on the rear of your insurance card, you will be covered for all medically necessary treatment within the EU that cannot wait until your return to Germany. However, it is sensible to have additional travel insurance as the EHIC is not accepted in some countries and hospitals and private bills will be issued.

Processing time

You will normally receive confirmation of your application within 48 hours during the working week.


Your university will be immediately informed of your insurance coverage electronically once your application has been approved.

You can also obtain a certificate of insurance for your residence permit or employer or other authorities on request.


Students are entitled to take out a reduced student tariff from a statutory health insurance provider until they are 30 years old. Extending your student tariff beyond the rules mentioned above is only possible in special circumstances, e.g. the birth of a child. If you are over 30, you will be taken off the reduced student tariff and automatically moved onto ‘voluntary insurance’. This will approximately double your monthly premium.

We therefore recommend that people over 28 take out a private health insurance plan for their studies.

Family members

Family members can also enjoy health insurance coverage free of charge in certain circumstances. This includes children as well as spouses or life partners without their own or a reduced income.

With the exception of statutory sick pay, these people are entitled to the full range of benefits offered by the health insurance provider free of charge.

Employees/the self-employed

If you have an employer, the health insurance premium is dependent on income/salary. The employer covers half of an employed person’s health insurance premium. The monthly premium is deducted from your wages every month and transferred to the health insurance provider by your employer.

Freelancers must pay the entire amount themselves.

Switching to a different statutory health insurance provider

After selecting a statutory health insurance plan, you will be locked into it for 12 months. Once this period has expired, you can switch to another statutory health insurance provider.

You have the right to cancel your contract early if your health insurance provider increases your premiums.

Pre-existing conditions
In general, everyone is required to take out statutory health insurance. You do not have to answer any health questions in advance when taking out statutory health insurance. It is possible to pay for the treatment of pre-existing conditions.
Special benefits

Our recommendation


If you want to take out statutory health insurance as a student or employee in Germany, we recommend AOK or BARMER

These are two of the biggest statutory health insurance providers in Germany. 


What our customers have to say
2251 Bewertungen

Decision-making tool

A comparison of tariffs
Gesetzliche Krankenversicherung
Gesetzliche Krankenversicherung

Outpatient treatment by a physician

Inpatient hospital treatment

Medically prescribed medicines and dressings

Auxiliary aids required as the result of an accident

Medically necessary dental treatment

Pregnancy without a waiting period

Vaccinations (recommended by the STIKO)

Insurance card

Direct cost reimbursement to doctor

24/7 customer hotline

Special offers

Vary according
to region

Same across Germany

Health apps






Notice period in months



Insurance term in months 

from 12

from 12

Excess per claim



Monthly premiums

0 up to 30 years of age

€ 121 – 137

€ 128 – 133

Employees of all ages (percentage of gross income incl. nursing care insurance)

from 9.65 %

from 9.575 %


Conclusion of contract

Decided to opt for membership of the AOK? Easily apply for the right contract here. MAWISTA and AOK will take care of the rest for you.


You can easily apply for membership of BARMER here. Just complete the application form. MAWISTA and BARMER will take care of the rest for you.

Product finder

Interested in other tariffs that may suit you?

The product finder will show you all the health insurance plans available to you as an international student.